Blogging soared off the charts in popularity a few years back, but so did YouTube. Suddenly it hit – we could make blogs made out of videos rather than text. These video blogs, referred to as simply ‘vlogs’ (see the full definition here), have changed the game when it comes to blogging. Tons of people are doing it, from travelers to bakers, and from shopping enthusiasts to students.
How to vlog in school, about the school, and for school:
- Make sure your teacher/other students are aware you’re recording.
- Have an idea of what to vlog about your school (pep rallies, plays, day in the life).
- Vlog for your school by recording upcoming events, sports, lessons, etc.
When it comes to vlogging in school, the possibilities are virtually endless. You can use your platform to showcase a wide variety of things happening in and around your school, using your unique personality to make it all come together. We’re going to discuss how to vlog in school as well as what to vlog about to be successful.
How to Vlog in School
If you’re thinking about vlogging in school, there are a few different things to consider. First and foremost, you should always let your teachers and other students know that you will be vlogging.
You need to make sure that it’s okay with them, and whether or not it’s okay to show their faces on your vlog. (If not, you will need to blur out their faces and try to avoid them).
Get The Audience Growth Checklist 🚀
Your content deserves an audience. Find out how to get the reach it deserves.
Next, you need to focus on making your vlog.
- Start by creating a theme for your vlog. This should be completely personalized to you and your specific taste and style. It should also show potential viewers the purpose behind your vlog and what type of content will be showcased.
- Find where you’re going to host your vlog. YouTube is an excellent option, and so is Vimeo.
- Give your vlog a title. Remember that the title should be unique to you and your style while also giving viewers a little hint at what you will be vlogging about.
- Start recording your content. When you’re done, you may also need to edit the vlog, so it’s perfect and ready for viewing.
- Lastly, upload and share your videos. You will want to share with other students, and sometimes teachers and parents, if you are recording something that pertains to them.
What to Vlog About School?
Now that you know the basics about starting a vlog, it’s time to think about potential vlogging ideas. There are tons of different options when it comes to vlogging about your school. Here are some of the top choices:
- Vlog about your morning routine and outfit of the day. Middle school and high school students always want to know what other people are wearing so they can stay in the loop. Create a vlog a few times in the morning, displaying your normal routine and your outfit of the day to provide some inspiration!
- Record a lesson, especially if it’s a tougher class. Make sure you have the teacher’s permission. If so, then record an especially difficult class lecture so other students can provide some insight on the topic. Learning together is never a bad thing, especially if it’s made fun with a vlog.
- Keep students up-to-date on school events. If you’re doing a vlog such as this, then it will also be beneficial to let teachers and parents in on the vlog. You can keep an ongoing vlog displaying all of the upcoming events such as pep rallies, plays, sports, guest speakers, and so much more.
- Keep students connected using your vlog. Are you part of a special interest class or extracurricular activity? Then vlog about it! You can not only share your experience with other students, but you can allow the other participants to be in-the-know and comment on the activity or class.
- Use your vlog for a student project. The world is becoming more and more technological. With that being said, more and more teachers are allowing their students to create vlogs for student projects. This could be a special project where they need to record something in particular or show that they have mastered a skill at home.
- Simplify a class lesson. Did you understand those difficult assignments better than other kids in your class? Then consider simplifying it the best way you can and vlogging about it. This will help kids to understand better what’s going on so they, too, can ace the test next time.
- Vlog about a day in the life of a 10th grader. Everyone loves to see what is going on when you’re at school, especially parents and friends who aren’t there with you. Record a ‘day in the life of’ video and make it super exciting. People love watching these vlogs, and it’s sure to be a big hit.
- Act out a book or special event. Some people simply don’t like or retain reading as well as other information, like historical facts. You can help the kids in your class to learn more about a book or subject by acting it out.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to vlogging about school. Keep it simple by recording your day to day life as a high school student or consider doing something more beneficial to your classmates by recording a class, simplifying it, or acting it out.
How to Vlog For School
There’s clearly a ton of ways you can vlog about your school, but what if you want actually to vlog for your school? Vlogging can have a positive impact on your middle school or high school, and it’s important to get your teacher’s permission before starting.
Here are some fun ways to vlog for your school:
- Vlog about the school news. What’s more fun than reading about school news? Watching one of your lovely personalities bring the news to life. Record the school news and upcoming events to keep everybody in the know.
- Record special events. Going to the baseball game? Let everyone in on the highlights with your vlog. The same is true for plays and other extracurricular activities that truly showcase how amazing your school is.
- Create a portfolio of student work. Showing off how smart you and your classmates are is never a bad thing. Create a portfolio on your vlog with all the best work from different students to really wow the nation.
- Allow other students to upload on your vlog. It doesn’t have to be about you all the time. To allow for more creativity and views on the school, allow other students to share their thoughts and ideas about your school. This is beneficial for faculty and parents.
- Encourage students. This can be done in a lot of different ways! If there’s a tough test coming up, encourage the other students and hand out some studying tips. You can also be a platform to stop bullying, encourage debates, as well as encourage collaboration between students in different areas.
As you can see, vlogging doesn’t just have to be tons of fun. You can use your vlog to benefit the other students and parents, as well. It’s up to you to decide what types of ideas you will use to help your school!
Vlogging in middle school and high school is a lot of fun and can be used in school and for school. There are tons of different ideas to choose from; just make sure you’re using your own creativity and personality to make your vlog stand out.